All photos presented on this site are available under the Creative Commons - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license. Please see the official License Deed and Legal Code for the terms of the license.
In short, you are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the photographs in any medium or format.
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the photographs.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a reference to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- Non-Commercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you transform or create derivative works based on these photographs, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
A couple of footnotes:
- The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
- No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.
What does non-commercial mean?
Here are some examples for acceptable non-commercial use cases:
- In a personal blog article.
- In a YouTube video freely available to the public.
- In a school report or academic publication at a conference, journal, or magazine.
- In the brochure of a church or museum.
- As the desktop wallpaper for a personal computer.
What's the format for the credit?
I'd like to be flexible in terms of the format. In general, something along the lines of
Photograph by Jiuguang Wang (www.robo.guru), used under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.
...would be sufficient. The URL can be removed for space. For a video, it is sufficient to include it within the end credits.
What about commercial use?
"Commercial Use" regarding the use of images online or offline is defined very broadly. The determination of commercial or non-commercial use is based on the contextual use of the image. The determination is NOT based on the tax-filing status of the entity using the image nor on whether or not a financial transaction takes place.
Commercial use of these photographs is only allowed only if expressly granted. All commercial uses will incur a licensing fee. For commercial use of my photographs, please contact me.
May I have a photograph in a higher resolution?
All of the photographs available on this website is approximately 1920 x 1080 pixels. Higher resolutions can be made available for both commercial and non-commercial purposes. Please contact me with your specific use case.